Thursday, December 29, 2005

My sister and I have been doing the 12 hour drive between New York and Detroit for over 6 years now. We know it like the back of our hand. We know that there's a city somewhere in Pennsylvania called "Scotrun" which we misread every time and giggle (think male anatomy). We know that the trucks in Pennsylvania are psycho and Toledo is a dirty dirty city. We see signs for many things along the way: The Land of Make Believe, The Little League Hall of Fame, Cracker Barrel...but we aren't tempted to stop at any of these places. The only billboard that has ever given me the sudden urge to veer off the road and take a small detour from the trek home advertises what I have always been certain must be the greatest place on earth: Beef jerky Unlimited. The beef jerky outlet. An entire store filled with jerky. I always figured it must have been a mirage. My eyes playing tricks on me on the homeward stretch just past the Michigan border. The sign boasts "over 30 flavors of beef, turkey, pork, chicken and wild game jerky" and it has haunted my dreams. You see, my sister and I typically do this drive overnight, which means we never pass the famed Exit 6 during the scope of normal business hours. I have never visited the jerky outlet, my dream store. Never, that is, until today. Yes, folks, I have now crossed the threshold of this former "Land of Make Believe." Beef Jerky Unlimited exists and it's beautiful.

Heather and I got there around 10 AM. We pulled into the parking lot, dusted the dog hair from our nappy sweatpants, and wandered inside. The store was empty when we entered save for about, well, 30 large barrels in the middle of the floor filled with different jerky. A large man wearing wranglers and sporting a mustache shortly came out from the back room to greet us. I think it can pretty much be guaranteed that he was surprised to see us. He definitely looked a bit confused at the presence of two young girls first thing in the morning at the jerky store. Obviously the first thing out of his mouth was, "So, where are y'all from?" We were clearly not from around these parts. He gave us a brief tour of the jerky and invited us sample anything we'd like. I tried some of the "beer flavored" beef jerky and it was damn good (I'm told it's the favorite of the local kids as well), so I got some of that as well as some teriyaki beef, honey BBQ pork jerky and a BBQ sausage stick. Yum. Hands down the best jerky I've tasted.

Folks, it's your lucky day...there's a website. For all your jerky needs please visit www.beefjerkyunlimited.com -- and how!

And now, for your viewing pleasure...jerky art as created by me.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha - even in html it still looks like scrotum. and you forgot the part where jerky guy was missing his two front teeth...
but more importantly, shall i be dining on cajun jerky or teriyaki for lunch today?

Anonymous said...

That is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen....
But I am SO glad you finally got to visit the jerky outlet...your dream come true:)
Lauren