Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I am having some memory issues with Ye Olde Laptop that are delaying my post vacation wrap-up, so stay tuned for that...

In the meantime, I've become a little concerned that my sense of style might be questionable. First off, I'm fairly certain one is supposed to find Graceland to be tacky. Not the case for me. In fact, I was pretty convinced I wanted to move in. As I told Emily following our tour, "Elvis and I have the same taste!" Emily gave me a look that said, "And that is no taste whatsoever." If it ain't covered in carpet in Graceland it's covered in mirror and doggonit I liked it, ceramic monkey statues and all. I'm the proud owner of a brass monkey lamp myself, as you may have noticed in past photos...

THEN, we were in Savannah watching TV in our hotel room, and this show called "How Do I Look?" came on. The first episode we saw featured a girl who truly looked a mess. Long frizzy hair, way too many baggy layers going on, giant glasses...someone who I thought, "Yes, this girl needs a makeover." HOWEVER, the next episode came on and I was horrified to find that the girl who they were going to makeover pretty much wore what I wear on a regular basis. Do I need a makeover??? I don't think so. I always get compliments on my style. How is this girl getting yelled at for wearing cute vintage dresses in crazy colors and patterns. I thought she looked cute. Three people on this show were begging her to change her ways. Who was in the wrong???

The last straw comes this morning. As I'm going through my "trades" I come across this little snippet in the Media Bistro Daily News Feed:

"Can You Tell Which Room Was Decorated in 1970? [UnBeige]
A Flickr stream has been making the blogrounds due to its giddy depiction of '70s decor selected from the pages of 1970's Practical Encyclopedia of Good Decorating and Home Improvement. It's a glorious cacophony of gold and zebra stripes, polka dots and pink. Laugh if you will, but this piece from last week's Times piece about designers who create happiness with, yep, gold and zebra stripes, polka dots and pink."

I'm fairly certain they mean we are supposed to find
these rooms ridiculous. Am I crazy to say I kind of dig a lot of the stuff going on in these pictures?

No comments: