Sunday, June 11, 2006

I got punched by a bum on Wednesday.

41st Street between 9th and 10th Avenues, right behind Port Authority, has got to be the sketchiest block in Manhattan, SO, it was fitting that I had sketch practice there on Wednesday night. I was walking to practice and saw a group of vagrants play fighting with each other on the street in front of me. As I got closer, I tried to figure out whether to walk around them or try and make a break through the middle of the pack. Unfortunately, I made the wrong choice. I tried to pass through just as one guy took a giant swing in the air...hitting me SMACK in the arm. HARD. I squealed as the guy (who smelled of cheap malt liquor) grabbed my arm saying in a drunken slur, "I'm sorry, sweetheart, are you okay?"-- which I guess was nice, but I was so freaked out I just frantically shook him off my arm and booked it down the block.

Anyway, then I felt bad for assuming he was a bum. UNTIL, we had rehearsal at the same space two days later. Jonathan brought a dozen Dunkin Donuts (I was on a major sugar high since I also found a 7eleven on the way and got a giant Slurpee) and there were some leftover after practice SO we decided to give them to the homeless people living on the block. As he was giving them the donuts, everyone was really thankful, except this one guy making sarcastic comments from a lawn chair on the sidewalk-- the guy who had punched me in the arm! What a dick.

I'm sorry, I'm a horrible person, but that punch fricking hurt!

No comments: