Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Someone’s Spidey Sense is telling her that her favorite superhero is madly in love with her…

Or maybe not. BUT, I do feel a great kinship with the Spiderman movie franchise because it seems to have followed me around for the past 5 years…My last two years at Columbia they were always filming on campus and today on my walk to work I noticed those bright pink NO PARKING signs indicating that Spiderman 3 is to film in my very own neighborhood on Thursday.

Okay, so maybe they film a LOT of stuff at Columbia and in Cobble Hill, but I still feel like I have an infinite bond with Peter Parker.

It also reminds me what happened when they were filming the first movie at Columbia…

It was one of the sunniest weeks of the year and everyone was outside on the steps catching some rays in tank tops and skirts…but they were trying to shoot a fall scene. So they tried to get us all to move off the steps, which, of course, pissed everyone off because we only get so many days of sunshine…we reluctantly moved to the 100 square feet of lawn off-camera and watched them shoot (If you watch the first movie though, you can definitely see random people in the campus crowds wearing summer gear mixed in with the extras in fall garb…these were just random students that snuck past the PA’s). The scene they were shooting was just Peter Parker running across the length of the steps. They shot it over and over and over again. After a while, we realized it wasn’t even Tobey Maguire, it was just a body double—and, boy, was this guy winded! I felt awful for him. It was like 90 degrees out and they had him dressed for 55 degree weather. Anyway, we finally decided that he was still cute and we made Emily go hit on him. He said he had a girlfriend. Emily’s dreams were shattered. There would be no Tobey Maguire body double in her future.

Anyway, hopefully I’ll catch them filming something in my hood tomorrow and get some pics. We shall see…

No comments: