Wednesday, September 20, 2006

EMILY AND SAM'S TENNESSEE TACK TOUR- DAY 3- AUGUST 5TH 2006- LORETTA LYNN'S RANCH

Aaaand we're back. It may take me all year, but, dagnabit, I will finish my vacation recap!

I bet you didn't know that Loretta Lynn has been hosting the National Amateur Motocross Championships for the past 25 years...Well, neither did I until I was researching places to visit on the road trip. As a lover of Loretta Lynn, I checked out www.lorettalynn.com to find out about visiting her Tennessee ranch- which, as it turns out is an hour or so west of Nashville. I happened to notice an "events" section- where I soon learned not only that Loretta hosts the motocross championship, but it was going to be during the time of our trip. Now, you should also know that Emily and I spent a good part of our senior year of college watching motocross races on ESPN2. Emily is the only other girl I know who can list the prominent motoX racers. Obviously, I emailed Emily right away and we both (with sheer excitement) added the race to our agenda.

We were giddy like schoolgirls on our way from Memphis to the ranch. When we arrived, we paid the $20/vehicle admission and were directed up a large hill toward parking. As we came over the top of the hill, both Emily and I honestly got a bit choked up. There was just something completely awe-inspiring about the giant track with what seemed like hundreds of motocross bikes racing around it, creating a huge buzzing chorus like a giant swarm of bees. Just amazing. We parked our car and found ourselves a spot in the bleachers to watch the heats.



One amazing thing about motocross is the whole family affair. Everyone in these families is involved-- dad, older brother and even the tiny tots race. The youngest age group we saw was 4 to 6. 4 to 6! These kids might not even be able to read and write yet, but they can ride a motorcycle?! Insane.









It was about 115 degrees out, so after a few hours of sitting out in the sun watching races, we decided to check out the rest of the grounds. There were 5 different gift shops, a "Coal Miner's Daughter" museum, and a replica of Loretta's original Butcher Holler home.





I believe this was taken outside of the gift shop where I saw an entire line of Mammy doll products on sale. Next to the cookie jars, there was a sign that said, "Careful: Black lady's head comes off." I was pretty much horrified and left very briskly- which is why I don't actually have a picture of said sign.





The great thing about country singers is they are totally tacky (hence the "tack" tour). Loretta has this gorgeous house and gorgeous property-- and yet her yard is filled with just about every tacky lawn ornament you can think of-- from porcelain kissing children to cement geese.













On our way out, we noticed a sign for Loretta Lynn's "Family Flea Market" so we clearly had to stop.

This awesome old "Loretta Lynn Ranch" fire truck was "parked" on the lawn.



The flea market itself was pretty hilarious. It was as if someone has just emptied out their attic and/or junk drawer into a shack by the side of the road. As it turns out, Loretta really likes signing things. Just about everything in the gift shops had her signature on it, and the "flea market" was no different. Yes, you too can have a Loretta Lynn autographed water bottle or, you betcha, even a salt shaker! I selected a "mint" Coal Miner's Daughter album and we headed on for Nashville.

No comments: