Monday, September 18, 2006

God Bless San Gennaro and God Bless sausage.

Working in Soho is pretty great when it means you can go to the San Gennaro festival every day for a week for street meet. AND today I discovered the best sausage sandwich EVER. I just had to get fair food for lunch today, but because I usually end up getting the first thing that looks tasty only to see something better five minutes later, today I decided to walk through the whole street fair before purchasing my meal. Alright, so I was pretty sure I was gonna get sausage, because, let's face it, sausage is my favorite food-- BUT, I just wanted to be sure...Anyway, as I walked down Mulberry Street, I saw this giant line outside one of the sausage booths. Since every other booth at this thing is a sausage booth, I figured if one was going to have a giant line it was probably the best sausage on the planet...and I certainly didn't want to miss that- Besides, these were normal New Yorker-type-folks,not tourists, so I definitely trusted their choice. SO , I got in line and hoped that my powers of deduction were as good as I thought they were.



WELL, John's sausage definitely did not disappoint. Probably the best street sausage sandwich I've ever had. The sausage was thick and meaty- not greasy at all. Now, I love grease, but this sausage packed all of the flavor with none of the grease. It was super salty and extra tasty. The bread was nice and squishy and had a little bit of a sweet flavor to it. Yum. Anyway, head down to Little Italy and hit up John's Sausage. You'll know it by the long line- but it's well worth it. I might be there every day for lunch this week...

Otherwise, all that's new is: I'm sore. Very very sore.

This is due to:

a) The fact that I walked around Brooklyn for roughly 10 hours this weekend.

b) The fact that the softball season for Darryl and the Strawberries started yesterday-- Yes, now I'm playing Soccer AND softball. I got a triple (a single plus two bases cause the ball was overthrown into the dugout) and I made a play at home (I tagged the guy right in the crotch), so for me the season started off great. Unfortunately, we lost due to the mercy rule in BOTH games....ah well....



1 comment:

Timothy J said...

nice recommendation about the sausage and peppers. I've been going to that festival for about 20 years and my mouth waters at it's mere mention. All I can think about is that smell. Sends a chill up my spine. I'm not sure how I feel about all that new carnival food, like the mozzarepa, but let's be serious, it's hard to mess up fried cheese.

If you're into veal, and I can't imagine you wouldn't be after reading what you ate down south, check out Angelo's on Mulberry. I was kind of skeptical after I read the really hit or miss reviews online but was thoroughly impressed by the fare once we were seated. And it's pretty much an institution down there.