Friday, September 01, 2006

SAM & EMILY'S TENNESSEE TACK TOUR 2006

DAY 2- FRIDAY, AUGUST 4TH 2006- MEMPHIS

Emily and I got up early and headed to Graceland (cue Paul Simon). We couldn't have been more excited. I was Elvis for Halloween two years ago, so I brought my Elvis glasses with me to get into the spirit of things. Brings me back to fourth grade when I had sideburns and did a mean Elvis impersonation...

Still got it!





Graceland was everything I hoped it would be and more. The first floor started off pretty normal.



God DAMN Elvis is sexy.



They won't let you go upstairs...



One thing I loved about Graceland is that it's such a lived-in house. It's not like some crazy huge mansion you'd see on MTV Cribs. It's a big house, with a lot of nice things, but it's obviously a house that was really used by a family. Take a look at Elvis' kitchen- totally a normal space you could picture a family gathering in (in 1962).



Then we made our way down to the basement (down a mirrored stairwell!) where the real magic is...The TV room was my absolute favorite.



Elvis shared my love for television-- he had at least one TV in every room- in this case, THREE!



Elvis loves the mirrors...



...and animal skulls...



...and monkeys...



The billiard room was very luxurious- with fabric covered walls.







Then we went up the carpeted stairwell...



...to the famous jungle room.





Elvis had quite the gun collection.



This was a small building out back- The "office"



And then it was on to the "Trophy Hall"- where I learned that Elvis just wanted to be a "darn good trucker."



Did you know that Elvis was the attendance champ?



This portrait of Elvis rules.



Ah, the jumpsuits.



I honestly got teary-eyed when I came to Elvis' grave.









I really wanted to get Elvis' TCB (Taking Care of Business) as a tattoo but I realized that was probably just Graceland talking...

Emily and I were sad to say goodbye.



After some souvenir shopping, it was off to The Arcade for lunch. Elvis supposedly was a regular at this place. We found it a fitting time to practice our Elvis lip curls.







We saw a bit more of the city, checked out a great Annie Liebowitz "American Music" photography exhibit, and then hit up Rendezvous for the best ribs I have ever eaten.



Then it was off to Beale Street for a night out on the town. We drank some Big Ass Beers and listened to Dr. Feelgood Potts.



No comments: