Tuesday, November 07, 2006

EMILY AND SAM'S TENNESSEE TACK TOUR- DAY 6- TUESDAY, AUGUST 8- NASHVILLE

Lauren reminded me that I wasn't even halfway done reporting back on the road trip I took this summer...my bad.

Day 6 found Emily & I on our last day in Nashville (sadly). It just didn't seem to be our day at first, because a gallery we wanted to visit was closed and so was Rotier's (which was supposed to be an amazing classic Nashville restaurant). But, it was a beautiful day, so we still enjoyed plenty of the city.

This was the beautiful Tennessee Capital Building (on top of a very large hill):



I loved the ironwork inside in this library:



Then we went to the Pathenon. Yes, the Parthenon. Bet you didn't know that Nashville has a full scale replica of the Parthenon. Weird, but true.





Crepe Myrtle is all over Tennessee and the other states we visited- I just love it!



So Rotier's was closed and we were starving. I looked in my guidebook for another restaurant, we picked one... and proceeded to drive around Nashville for an hour trying to find it- with no success. At that point our stomachs were eating themselves from the inside, so we settled for Spicy Chicken. Another healthy food choice.





After lunch we dropped by Hatch Show Print, an amazing poster shop. They have been making posters since 1879 and still do all the prints the old fashioned way. Such a cool place. I bought a really neat Loretta Lynn poster.



We had some more time to kill before going to the Grand Ole Opry, so we kicked it at the farmer's market and checked out the Bicentennial Memorial.





Then we had some crappy food at Dave & Buster's and hit up the Grand Ole Opry! It was a ton of fun, although the average age in attendance was approximately 102. The performers we saw were: Jim Ed Brown, Alecia Nugent, Jeannie Seely (crazy alcoholic lady), Jeff Bates, Mel McDaniel- who, was singing some sort of WOOHOO, AMERICA song when this picture was taken...



...Trick Pony, Little Jimmy Dickens- the dirty but hilarious little bugger you see here:



AND last but not least, Joe Nichols- the man who brought you "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off"- which I, sadly, actually knew...my sister and I discovered it on one long trip from Detroit to New York with severe radio desperation.

Then we headed to The Station Inn- the home of Nashville bluegrass- and the surprise guest was none other than Alecia Nugent, who we had just seen perform at the Opry.



Oh, Nashville, how I love thee, let me count the ways...

No comments: