Wednesday, January 11, 2006

So, based on the overwhelming response I got about my soccer post, I have decided that my friends in New York all want to get off their asses, but they just don't know how or where to do it. Thusly, I pledge from now on to let you all know when I find out about fun cool activities to do in this town. I, for one, love activities and seem to be a magnet for hearing about such things. Here's some initial info:

NY Coed Soccer

I'm sorry to say it's too late to sign up for the winter session, but I'll drop a line when it is time for spring registration. It costs money, but I definitely think it's worth it. And you get an authentic t-shirt with a number on it. No more scrounging around Salvation Army for that awesome old school soccer tee for you!

New York Urban Professionals League

Not only does it have a great name, but they sponsor both basketball AND volleyball leagues in the city. My friend Katie plays on a woman's basketball team and seems to really love it. I suck at volleyball, so I don't know anything about that...

and if you're not so athletically inclined...

Upright Citizens Brigade Improv Classes

I started taking these classes about a year ago, and I highly recommend it if you are even slightly comedically inclined or if you just have a lot of frustration to vent. These classes are expensive, but I consider it a mental health fee. Seriously, it's like therapy. AND you get to meet a lot of great people.

There are also some cheaper places to take classes that people have recommended to me like:

Magnet

Armando Diaz-- who actually teaches at Magnet now, I think...
http://www.armandodiaz.com/

Anywho, I hope this is a good start for you! Taking classes and joining teams can be a lot of fun and a great way to make new friends. But always remember: "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other's gold." They taught me that in Girl Scouts. It's kind of a weird thing to tell children, actually...

In other news, I was on the subway with the scariest looking woman in the world this morning. She had me entranced with her beady little eyes. They were icey blue and kept shifting around. She was really old, like 80, and had that really wrinkled shriveled face...like she probably smoked for 65 of her 80 years...and she kept moving her jaw around like people with dentures always do...If I were casting a movie that had a part for a "scary old woman" I would have cast her on the spot. Yikes!

No comments: