Sunday, July 16, 2006

Screw the Siren Festival, this weekend I went to the Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival upstate. My sister's fiance's aunt helps put on this festival every year that's hosted all sort of great musicians over the past 30 years. I have been very excited to go, and it didn't disappoint. We only went for Saturday, stayed overnight and came back today after a quick trip to the swimmin' hole and Dad's Diner, but it was great fun and I can't wait to go back next year and stay longer.

When was the last time you rode a school bus?



Can you see the teepee in the back? People get very creative with their campsites.



These young thangs called King Wilkie were very popular with the ladies (old and young). They're like The Killers of the bluegrass world or something...Definitely had quite a few groupies backstage...

In height order...



These boys were brothers



These two are brothers too



I woke up this morning with a huge headache. No wonder. All of the pictures of our group have beer in them. Here are Keil and Heather with Keil's dad and Connie backstage. We had VIP bracelets. Swank.



Heather's future sister-in-law



Keil's future sister-in-law (me!)- How pretty is the view?



Grey Fox has a cool policy that basically says sit in any seat until the owner comes back and makes you move. This results in a hill completely covered in chairs.



I made the mistake of letting her sprinkle me with fairy dust and after a swim in the lake AND a shower I still have glitter all over me. Damn you, Glitter Fairy, damn you.



We ate some crawdaddies



Larry Sparks



The mandolin player came up to us and was all "What the heck are y'all eating?"- We told him we were eating crawfish. "I'd have to have a lot of beers to try those," he says.





The two sisters who kept getting checked out in the front row...yeah, you heard right, front row. VIP baby.



Grammy Winner Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder



I was really excited to see Steve Earle live. I've been a fan since college and have never been able to make it to one of his shows. He didn't disappoint. Apparently he lives in NYC now, because, as he says, "After the last election I wanted to live somewhere where I could walk out my front door and see a biracial gay couple." It would be cool to run into him on the street sometime.





After Steve Earl we went back to our "campsite" (aka car), just spread our sleeping bags out next to it and slept open-air. Tents are for pansies.

We decided to take scenic route 22 home and saw some lovely scenery.

A cool old building:



I love old cemeteries.



Cruisin'



So, we passed by this creepy abandoned psychiatric center. It was HUGE. And creepy. Did I say creepy?







Anyway, I got home and googled it. Apparently there were talks a few years ago about re-opening it as housing and shops. Not sure I'd want to live in a place that used to be a psychiatric center.

2 comments:

Captain Oats said...

hey friend! yeah kaitlin olson is pretty awesome. and quite attractive. "i will eat your babies, bitch!" -- love that line.

anyhoo, thanks for the email!! you shall be receiving a tear-stained, depressed, neurotic email in return soon, LA has broken me.

love the pics on your blog btw, what kind of digital camera do you use? i need a new one.

Goofunk said...

Steve Earle is the man! I've always wanted to see him live. And King Wilkie are The Killers of the bluegrass world? Is that a good thing?